Wednesday, May 18, 2005

O Happy Day type days

Lest you think I am a pessimistic negative whiny ethnocentric complainer who only sees this world around me as icky (since all my stories seem to come out that way...)--

I LOVE MY JOB!


I don't write about my job here, well, cause I don't want the world reading all my business. And because I send out an email newsletter that tells the highlights of my job to the people that I know want to read about all my business. So anyway--I'm here because God wants me here and because of my job. I love being where God wants me and I love my job. That's starting to equate to being quite happy here.

Here's an example of my normal O Happy Day type days.

I went to language class, working my way through the verbage and phonetics so foreign to my brain. Walked home enjoying the 103 degree heat (seriously. I like living in the desert. I was wearing jeans and a LONG sleeve t-shirt. Blast the rat that's making me keep the AC on and freeze in my flat). I cooked lunch (which always makes me happy) in my beautiful white kitchen (see archives from March), and then went to Starbucks.

That alone is happiness, is it not?

At Starbucks, I met up with a girl named Sam, who'd I met at the gym. The sole purpose of our friendship? She wants to help me learn her language! She told me that she remembers when she was learning English, and had no one to practice with. As well, she knows what it's like to be new and not have many friends. So, we sat in Starbucks and practiced my language. And let me just tell you--she is the perfect language helper! She would say a phrase slowly in her language, then in English, then again in her language. As we said our goodbyes, she told me that she believes God has a purpose in everything. I told her I agreed.

The day before? I'd sat in another Starbucks (I should invest in stock, really), and storied four stories with an oral-learner friend of mine, to work on her English and my literacy project. Crazy fun.

While those are normal days for me, (and one that makes me smile), they just doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would make for an interesting read on my blog for you. Rats, taxis, and post office men are much more interesting, even if it comes off a bit negative.

So. My apologies if I've sound pessimistic. I really am not. I walk around smiling in the desert. I smile even bigger when I see a camel. And I laugh at myself when I type the stories of the rats, taxis and post office men. I hope you laugh too.

No comments: