I just got home from seeing Star Wars Episode 3. All throughout the film, I couldn't quite put my finger on the overwhelming thought that I had, but came home to find that my friend, Annelies, has summarized it quite well. She said,
"what i think triggers for so many americans a sense of ownership and enthusiasm unmatched in the US for any other movie except star wars is that this is our epic. most epics take place in the past (troy/odyssey, LOTR, ramayana, to name a few); but for us who were growing up in the 70's this is our story and it is as woven into the texture of our lives as anything tangible."
I, like most Gen X Americans, grew up on Star Wars. I, unlike most Americans, spent many of those childhood years overseas, where the phenomena had not yet spread. While there are so many factors that make me feel so less American than the average Joe, I realized tonight something I do share with all the red, white and bluers is a love for Star Wars. And Annelies helped me figure out why--it's our epic.
My American friend, Anita and I giggled and cheered, waved our invisible lightsabers, and imitated Darth Vader's voice and Yoda's talking all through the film as we sat thoroughly eating up our culture on the big screen with such surround sound our seats vibrated. I know the other (locals) in the theatre did not get as into the film as we did. Why not? In my mind, this was entertainment as its pinnacle. It is Star Wars!
But it is mine and not theirs. And for it to be mine, as Third Culture Kid as I feel most days, made me feel very American today. Thanks, George Lucas.
P.S. Why did I laugh at Yoda all the way through the movie? One, because YODA ROCKS, and to keep myself from shouting that, I held it in via giggling. Two, because I realized that's how I talk now--verb last in sentence goes.
Monday, May 30, 2005
Our Epic: Star Wars
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment