Sunday, May 15, 2005

Moral Dilemma

Since I've learned how to speak in the past tense, I thought what happened to me last night on the way home would be a good story to tell for practicing language. I just needed to learn the vocab words. Here's the vocab words I learned.

  • To fight
  • Scared
  • To know
  • To do
  • Upset

Take a gander at the small paragraph I can now say in my new language.

"Last night, I saw two boys and they were fighting. I was very scared, because I didn't know what to do. So I just left, and then I felt upset."

Here's the full scoop in the language I DO know!

I was walking home in the dark last night (normal) and decided to walk through the tunnel instead of the street (not normal). As I approached the tunnel, I heard childrens' voices saying, "F you! F you!" in English (normal; I think they only know English curse words). So I started walking slowly into the tunnel. Most of the time when I hear boys yelling these curse words, I'm at the internet cafe, and they're playing intranet games and swearing at one another for fun. So I wasn't sure if these guys were playing around or not.

So I peaked around the bend of the tunnel and saw they were not playing.

One boy, about 10 or 12, with pure rage on his face, had pushed a much smaller boy, maybe 7 or so, up by his neck into the wall of the tunnel, and as I'd said, was yelling at him. I turned and left the tunnel quickly. Once out of the tunnel, I entered into my moral dilemma speed decision mode.

Do I go back bold and confident as an adult and yell at the older kid for bullying the younger kid?
Do I just let them be and figure boys will be boys?
Do I go find some local man to break up the fight?

And as I said in my baby language paragraph, I was scared. That older kid had pure hatred all over his face. He was just big enough that I couldn't gauge whether he could inflict serious pain and injury on me, or if I could take him if I had to. I am, after all, an Olive Oyle sized girl.

I felt like an idiot for being scared of a kid.
I felt like a jerk for walking away and leaving the big kid to beat up on the little kid.
I felt blue for both boys. The older, for him having so much rage already at his age. The younger, for how this event could mark the rest of his life. For me, that I couldn't fix any of it.

Did I make the right decision? So far everyone says I did. If you were a skinny girl alone at night in a foreign country, what would you have done?

No comments: