My friend Samantha told me today that she thinks she might
be pregnant. Even though she is married, she was still
embarrassed to go to the pharmacy (which is run by men)
to buy a home pregnancy test. I told her I would go with her.
We went inside and looked around a bit, and realized we were
going to have to ask the pharmacist directly, instead of slyly
picking it up off the shelf and sliding it across the counter
without making eye contact. I asked her if she wanted me to
ask him, and she quickly said, "YES."
I laughed and reminded her that SHE was the one wearing a
wedding ring, and I was not. It would be much more shaming
for me to have to buy a pregnancy test than her! But still, I
asked anyway.
He brought out three kinds, she picked the one she wanted and
paid for it. (I guess the embarrassing part is just the asking? It's
good though, that she paid, because it's MY pharmacy, and we
don't need him thinking I'm a hoochie, now do we?)
He explained how the test works, and then he said, "Have a
good time!"
We laughed as we walked out the door. Does he think taking a
home pregnancy test is some kind of female bonding event?
That we'll both crowd into the bathroom while she does her
business onto a little stick? And that we'll paint our toenails
the same color pink as the positive sign?
"Have a good time!" Seriously. We laughed the whole way home.
Tuesday, August 30, 2005
Not exactly my idea of a good time, but whatever...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment