Fear of rejection is something I have always struggled with. So much so to the point that I am almost 30 and never dated anyone seriously, because I was always too afraid too get too close. Why open up and let someone in just to have them realize they didn't like what they see and leave? I got challenged in that a few years ago and have been taking baby steps to take risks in relationships.
(And I learned that fear of rejection is a lie of bondage from the devil and decided I didn't need to listen to him anymore, since Jesus said He came to set me free from that bologna.)
I know I am not alone, though, in that fear of rejection. I hear guys all the time (good friends, Master Yoda, even in movies and such) say that the reason they don't go after a girl is
because of their fear of rejection. So you have all these single people walking around wanting to be accepted and afraid to take the risk of love out of fear of rejection. As a result, it seems
even more rejection occurs. A guy doesn't call (even though he wants to) because he thinks she'll reject him, and the girl therefore sits on the other end (wanting him to call) feeling rejected that he doesn't call. It's a ruthless, vicious thing.
I can relate to it to the depths of my soul as a single. I always tread carefully when a man has worked up the courage to approach me... Who am I to cause another the pain of rejection
that I am so fearful to experience in my own right? But somehow I still walk alone...wanting to take the risk, yet still feeling trepidation for my own heart...
Then I had a deep thought today that I am not even sure I can put into words. God IS love. He is THE LOVER. He is the ultimate pursuer of another's affections--ours. His heart, which is so much bigger and deeper than ours, experiences rejection on a regular basis. He took the risk of unrequited love when He first created humans, and he experiences the pain of unrequited love each time each of us turns the other way.
Even those of us who are his children. Those moments of the day when we choose something other than him, than spending a few moments of time with him. When I think about how much
it hurts my small heart when someone chooses someone or something other than me, and then I think about how much more tender the heart of the God of love is... How it must hurt
when we turn away, when we think He'll understand if we don't talk to Him today for whatever reason. How wretched we are to trample that Heart on a regular basis!
How awesome a God is He! There is no trepidation on His part! He takes the risk of unrequited love knowing full well what our response will be!
It made me smile like I'd just been asked out for coffee...
Thursday, September 15, 2005
The Risk of Unrequited Love
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment