Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Taxi Faux Pas

Sparky and I are riding along in a taxi across the blazing desert. (Okay, we were in the concrete jungle, but we did see sand and camels while in a taxi today, so it counts...) She starts making
sign language motions at me to draw my attention to something in the front of the cab. I lean forward and look, not understanding her sign language at all, sit back and give her a question look. She motions again, and I still don't understand.

Finally, she asks me, "How do you say 'hair' in that langauage we are learning?"

I understand then, that she was pointing out how extremely hairy our taxi driver was. Extremely. So I tell her the word for hair, and then I add, "SOOO hairy." (But not in English,
obviously.)

A few minutes later, I ask the man where he is from, and when he responds, we both paled. Oh yes, he was from one of the countries that actually speaks the language we are
learning. Sparky and I look at each other, trying not to laugh in embarrassment. I ask him if he is one of the larger people groups of that country (my only hope that he wouldn't know this language), and he responded that he was.

Sigh of relief.

Note to self: Do not speak your new language in taxi until you know where your taxi driver is from. Do not make fun of hairy taxi drivers. You may give birth to an Esau one day as a result.

No comments: