Monday, December 18, 2006

Celebrate Good Times!

All sorts of fun stuff has been happening! My brother and I got to go to a pre-viewing of the movie, We Are Marshall, on Saturday night. Don't ask me how we managed that...we're not even sure ourselves. There weren't even 20 people in the theatre! Crazy. Anyway...it was really good. I'm a fan.

Then today, I got a letter from Portugal! Yippee! I haven't heard from most any of my friends there in about four or five YEARS! It was so exciting!

Even though I haven't been writing much (okay, anything at all)...I have been posting old pictures on my photoblog. You're invited to go check them out!

I have a question for all of you. What do you do when you're reading a book that wasn't so boring you put it down after a few pages...but turns out to be boring enough you don't want to keep reading? I'm about half way through a book now, and I keep waiting for something to happen. Part of me wants to finish, so that it makes my "finished" list. And the other part of me wants to just quit wasting my reading time with it and move on to something better.

And the name poll... "Soj"alie won. It won before I started the poll, and then it won for real in the poll. But I have to confess that I would like Audrey to be a runner-up.

Not much else to tell. Hope your holiday season is going well!

9 comments:

Bekah said...

A. try and find someone who has finished the book and ask if it is worth it.
B. If it is short, suck it up and finish full of hope.
C. Put it aside in hopes I'll be inspired another day.

Of course once I get past chapter 1 I rarely quit on a Book. Age of Innocence Lost me after a two year struggle, but withGravity's Rainbow I persevered.

Jen said...

Well, there are lots on my list that I didn't like (or that were boring). I have, however, put one (probably a few) down in the middle and hoped it would improve with my state of mind and growth in a couple of years.
I can't believe you got to see We Are Marshall. I want to see it and it probably won't come out here! UGA's old kicker (who apparently is friends with my little brother) is in it as, what else, a kicker?

Anonymous said...

What to do with a book that is possibly boring? I judge the content, if it's had something that has encouraged me in more than one place I continue on, but if nothing has really made me wonder if there are more nuggets of goodness within, I typically send it to the Library for someone else to suffer through.

Enjoy the Day,
robb

Booker said...

I finish it. Which is why I don't branch out much outside of the sci\fan genre. There have been 2 books, that I can remember, that I couldn't finish. They were badly written enough that I just didn't care enough to finish. Leaves the taste of defeat in my mouth though, even now.

and whats with this chinese food thing?

brilynne said...

I have struggled with condemnation about unfinished books ever since I read The Adventures of Ranald Bannerman by George MacDonald. Ranald's father gives him a lecture on the wickedness of leaving books unfinished that scarred me for life...

Usually I read another light book and come back to the slow one. (Unless the slow one is a light one; then I just drop it.)

Your photoblog is fabulous! The pictures of Turkey especially intrigue me. I want to go there!!

bettercountry said...

Well, it finally dawned on me yesterday why this book is so boring. It has no plot. It's 100% character development...with the characters going nowhere. I have one chapter left, so I will finish it...but I have to admit I have resorted to skim reading. It really is a BORING book.

DJ--don't YOU eat Chinese food on Christmas eve? It's sort of a tradition in my world.

Jen said...

What book is it, anyway? I've been curious!

bettercountry said...

Jen--I keep what book I am currently reading posted on my left column under "en ce moment", so booklovers like you can always keep up. :)

The Jane Austen Book Club.

Booker said...

nope, can't say I'm familiar with that "tradition".

we have our breakfast tradition, but thats about it for food stuff :-)