I found out this weekend from my boss in Paris that my name sounds very similar to, well, the F-bomb in French. And that I, therefore, cannot go by my normal, given-at-birth-and-have-been-called-all-my-life name. They suggested I think up something else...the full version of my name (which is a nickname), or my middle name. Just not something offensive, as it now stands.
I feel like a little bit of a loss of identity.
The most normal reaction is to go by the full version of my name. But see, there's a thing. (I've always got a thing). When I was in the fifth grade, my teacher always called everyone by their full name. Mike's were Michael. Dave's were David. Christy's were Christina. Jen's were Jennifer. And therefore bettercountry was lookingforabettercountry. For the first week or so, I would always try to correct her and explain that my name was NOT lookingforabettercountry. It was just bettercountry. She would reprimand me for correcting her, an adult, and continue to call me lookingforabettercountry. Surely no parent would name their child, on their birth certificate a nickname.
So I tried a new tactic. I refused to answer her when she called out "lookingforabettercountry," since, well, she must not be speaking to me...if she were, she'd call me by my name. I saw it the same as calling me Laura or Lilly or something that totally was not my name. bettercountry was my name and I was sticking to it. And she stuck it to me--I got more and more in trouble because I refused to answer her.
And then came the final tactic. I took in something from my parents...birth certificate, letter, something, I don't remember--to prove to her that my name really was bettercountry. My parents really did name me that. And you know what that woman had the nerve to say? That my parents were WRONG to name me a nickname. Well. I told her! I said, "Fine. I just won't come back to your class. I'll move to another country." And I did. I already knew we were moving to another country, I just thought I'd be a smarty pants and let her think she was the reason we were moving.
All that to say...I developed at about the age of ten, a strong repulsion to being called the lengthened version of my name. People said it, and I would say, "That's not my name." Then I moved to Portugal, where no one understood "bettercountry" unless I said, "It's like lookingforabettercountry." So I've improved on my aversion for the name. But it seems like a complete reversal of personality and identity and history of my life to just up front tell people, "Bonjour. My name is lookingforabettercountry." I think I might just shiver every time I said it.
So I have to come up with a new name. Sigh. I'm with the Suits right now, and L (the wife) speaks French. She laughed and said, "You could tell people your name is Nicoise." I knew it was something stupid, so I asked her what it meant, and she said, "A salad from the region of Nice." Ummm...I'm not going to be called a salad. They were having a party, and everyone joined in. "What about 'croissant'? How about 'latrine'? Oh! Oh! What do you think of Pepe LaPu?" Hardy har har.
I feel a little pouty about the whole situation. Who ever knew that I would have such an attachment to my name? Here's a chance to give myself any name in the world, and everything that gets offered just makes me think, "That doesn't sound like ME. That doesn't aptly reflect who I am." And now, no one will sing the song they've always sung to me with my name in it. Pout.
The only names I've come up with so far are a nickname that my grandad used to call me when I was little (it's not a French name, but L keeps pronouncing it in French for me to let me hear how they would say it), my last name (which some people called me in grad school, except that it comes from a French word, and L thinks they might just call me that instead, and I don't like that), and Amalie...like the movie...except that I don't want to be the dumb American girl who picked her name from the one French movie that made it big over here. Maybe Audrey cause I like Audrey Hepburn so much, or Aubrey cause I like Auburn so much. (War Eagle). Ho hum.
Suggestions?
7 comments:
You are not the only one who's gone through a name change. Mine, though they have it here, is so difficult to pronounce (and spell, because there are so many variations) that I am now known as Ana Paula. Apparently there's someone by that name that I look like.
i kind of know how you feel. i never answered when people would say 'lauren.' it really is different.
when i took french in middle school, we got to pick names and i chose claire.
if you do audrey, i think the actress who played amelie is named audrey. or you could go by amelia (i kind of think that fits you for some reason) and then they'd just end up calling you amelie.
OR you could say your name is Eleanor and go by Ellie (i think you could pull both of those off).
do you think I'm totally off-base?
Man, did I laugh! :-) I find it deliciously ironic.
Anyway, I can understand the whole wanting your own name thing, but surely you can't dislike your middle name that much?
Or are you thinking that since you have to use something different, why not go the whole shebang and use something completely different?
I recommend "Sakura" or "Mirielle", both having a long and distinguished career in the Anime Business :-)
But what FUN! To pick your own name! I have always wanted to go into a situation - a new school, or a job- and introduce myself with a completely different name. Not that I dislike my name but I think it would just be so much fun to fool everyone- like playing a part. When you were little, did you ever dream of a name you wished you had - a fabulous, outlandish name- like "Lady Cordelia Fitzgerald" in Anne of Green Gables...Oh the possibilities are endless! I think if I had to pick my own name right now, it would be either Sylvia or Julia...or Jacqueline...or Mia...or Grace... or Abigail. Too hard to decide. What about your favorite females from literature? What about old fashioned gems, strong and full of character like: Josephine or Madeline or Anastasia? Be excited! Not downcast! It's not everyone who gets to adopt a new name...I can't wait to hear what you've decided.
So sorry for all the name troubles!! How about Ann with an E! Or another name from dear Anne, Cordillia! :) Just kidding...just thought I'd throw that in there to get a smile from you dear friend!! :)
I'm trying to think back to my little bit of High School French. If my memory isn't playing tricks, Amalie is the French spelling of Emily, yes?
Personally, I'm partial to that. I found an acronymn for it once when doing a study on names.
You could think of God speaking it to you:
Every
Moment
I
Love
You!
Good luck with the name change, whatever you decide or whatever new name God directs you to.
:)
Responses! Okay, here goes.
1. I canNOT believe that TWO people have suggested Cordillia. Wow. And NO.
2. I like my middle name when it is sanwhiched between my first and last name. Those who know it also know that by itself, it just doesn't suit me at all.
3. Amelia makes me think of Amelia Bedelia, and that would be NO. I'm not some flighty maid.
4. DJ and ALL men who are bent on offering names that are not even options--NO. Just NO.
Audrey and Amalie are both growing on me more, (and Lo-Ren, I do like Ellie)... I wrote the boss and asked if Grandad's nickname would work, because I like it BEST. We'll see what they say. If no, we'll go with one of the following.
From the "Top 100 French Girl Names" (drumroll, please)
a. Adelaide
b. Aurelie (this sounds so pretty in French!)
c. Nathalie
d. Zoe
e. Amalie
f. Audrey
I think whatever I pick, it'll definitely have an 'E' on the end! That makes me happy.
Post a Comment