Saturday, October 29, 2011

Arles

A few years ago, I went to two towns in Southern France called Aigues-Mortes and Nimes. Ever since then, I've gotten confused about whether I've been to Nimes or to Arles. They both have colosseums from the Roman days. I don't know why I mix them up other than that, but now...I can honestly say I've been to both.

I went to Arles with Joy and the Real McCoys this weekend. I was expecting lots of Roman ruins. It did have that...
But what I wasn't expecting was so many cute Provence postcard-like streets! Click HERE for all the photos from Arles.
Something I didn't know was that Vincent Van Gogh lived in Arles and painted several pieces there, including Starry Night. Here is the very spot, the same yellow cafe, just no cobblestones or stars. It was REALLY cool to see that!
Another special thing about Arles was that the little man let me carry him around all day. In the beginning of the week, he wouldn't let me near him, and cried any time his mom wasn't in the room. Then, one morning, he woke up and decided I was his best friend. His mom had been holding him in the car on the way to Arles. I took him from her so she could climb out of the car, and when she went to take him back to load him into the Ergo, he clung to me! So I asked if I could carry him in the Ergo for as long as he would let me...and he let me the whole afternoon!!! He even took a nap on me! It was precious and one of my favorite things about the whole day.
Me and the little man at Van Gogh's cafe. Cool, cool day!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how do you know that you haven't been there 2x now and Nimes not at all..just wondering. Thanks. Your darling brother.

bettercountry said...

I have photographic evidence. I've actually been to Nimes twice. :) And you are darling, you're right.

sandra said...

I can not tell you how much the photo of you with the red haired baby in the Ergo made me heart melt. It was like you were holding baby Selah. Wish we were closer.

notpoems said...

cute, cute picture!! Did you go to Aigues-Mortes when a group of us went in ... 2007 I think it was? And isn't it in the Camargue? I got a Camargue cross there...
I LOVE that the cafe Van Gogh painted is still there!! And that you got to see it. :-)

bettercountry said...

I did go to Aigues-Mortes with yall, I think it was 2008. (Weren't there stuffed sheep flying over the walls?) And I do believe it's in the Camargue, yes, because I bought a cross somewhere in the Camargue, so why not say I bought it there?

And I think that the original Van Gogh cafe burned down, and had to be rebuilt. I'm sure the original wasn't called Cafe Vincent Van Gogh like it is now. Ha!