I realized that the last post I wrote was my interaction with an aggressive crazyman, and lest you think that it frightened me and I have shut myself up in my apartment away from the world (and therefore have nothing to write), that perhaps I need to tell you to where I have disappeared.
I am (unfortunately) waking up with the call to prayer every morning this week in order to catch a pre-8am boat across to the Asian side, where I ask a taxi driver to take me to the mall that is not yet open (because it's still so early in the day)--he must think I'm so American I just wait anxiously outside the doors to shop--then walk from the mall to a local office building where I am attending a conference from 9-5. While that may sound unpleasant, the morning boat rides have been a delight: I have found the quiet of the city is there at that hour. The fog dissipates over the water as the sun breaks through, causing a rosy hue over the buildings of the ancient side of the city.
The conference is teaching methods of how literate people (such as you and I) can communicate and educate oral, illiterate people who have no written language through the use of stories. I hope by reading my blog you can tell that I am a story-teller...or, should I say, a story-writer. I am learning this week that in order to educate those without literacy, I have to think as one without literacy. How? Well...that's what I am learning. So thankful for the alphabet and the ability to read it.
Blessings on you, my literate friends, until the next story comes...
Tuesday, January 11, 2005
ABCDEFG...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment