Tuesday, January 04, 2005

WINDEX!

Knowing that there was mad cleaning frenzy ahead of us before Schroomie #2 returns tomorrow from the US, Schroomie #1 and I decided to forego cooking dinner and eat at our favorite restaurant right around the corner from our house. They gave us a lovely table for two by the window, (sound familiar? Don't worry, it wasn't at the Galata Tower, but right next to it), with a great view of the Tower. We ate our dinner while discussing our day. (I informed schroomie of how I learned HECKA vocab words today, and taught my tutor the English words "hecka, flip, bling bling, cheesy, dorky, nerdy, and lame").

As we are about to wave the waiter down to ask for the bill (something I learned how to say today), we noticed that one of the workers was spraying down a plant with
WINDEX!!! As we start to discuss, "surely not?" the manager grabbed the bottle from the worker and begins to demonstrate how to properly drench the plant in windex. WINDEX!!! My Big Fat Greek Wedding was not real, and windex kills living creatures, not helps them grow! Finally, we were laughing so hard, I couldn't control myself from asking.

"Pardon? Bu ne?" (Excuse me, what is that? I asked pointing to the bottle). He responded in Turkish, of course, of which I didn't understand a word, of course. Schroomie was laughing hysterically at this point, because she couldn't believe that I asked him. (Justifying myself now)--I saw it as a good opportunity to practice language. I'd been learning all week how to ask "what is that?"

He saw our confused looks, and responded, "Vitamin."
We giggled, and I pointed again, and said, "Not window (make motion for cleaning the window)?"
Then the manager came over and said that it was INDEED window cleaner!!! We were absolutely dying of laughter now, to the point that we could hardly get English out of our mouths, much less Turkish.

The younger worker then stated, "Not window cleaner now." He pointed to the bottle and explained it was vitamins IN a formerly Windex bottle. Ahhh... I honestly think they didn't know what to do with two hysterical American women trying to speak Turkish while they were taking care of their plants. I think it's the hardest I've laughed since I've been here.
WINDEX!!!

No comments: