We Americans have short attention spans. Don't believe me? We complain that a movie is long when it passes over two hours...never mind Bollywood's normal length is three. We marvel at marriages that survive the 7 year itch. Our trends end quicker than we can say, "It's the new black." So no wonder that people are amazed that I love lengthy novels.
Anything less than 500 pages doesn't quite seem worth it...truly I love the feel of a 1000-pager in my hands. I love getting to know the characters, being all wrapped up in their non-real lives.
So several weeks ago, I picked up a book called Byzantium, by Stephen R. Lawhead, thinking if I read it, maybe I would grow more enthralled with my current city of residence. I sojourned with the lead protagonist from Ireland, to Denmark, through Russia to Constantinople, down into Arabia, and back again to Constantinople, the Golden City. I laughed and laughed as the poor 10th century monk discovered the ways of the Grande Bazaar for the first time. I held my breath as monk encountered Muslim. I wondered what this city looked like 1000 years ago.
All that said, I couldn't put it down for the last 500 pages. Definite recommended reading for anyone who loves armchair travel or an exciting tale, or both. As for me, I now begin my journey into Middle Earth, fulfilling a promise I've made to read through the Lord of the Rings Triology. I've always lived by it's famous quote--"not all that wander are lost..." From Byzantium to Bilbo Baggins, here I go...
Friday, January 28, 2005
Recommended Reading
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment