As I said in yesterday's post, we took a different route across the ocean due to a low front, but even still...we stayed on the edge of it and had a few grey days at sea. One day was a particularly awesome rainy day. It was one of the days that I woke up at 5:30am and stayed awake. I decided to go find a quiet spot, hopefully alone, somewhere on the boat. Due to the cold wind and rain, I opted out of my favorite outdoor spot on deck 4, and headed up to the Cloud 9 lounge. But first, I took a few photos of the lovely lovely lovely grey sea.
I loved that low-lying storm cloud. One night, thecamelridingcowgirl and I stepped out on the deck to see what the it looked like at night. It severely creeped me out, so much so that I stepped back from the railing. Staring out into the pitch-black void was scary to me, but mysterious to her. Staring out at this rain cloud--THAT was mysterious to me. I suppose the line between mysterious and scary (for me) was visibility. When I could see the deep, I was fine. But when I looked out and saw void, I didn't know if a squall was approaching. Or a giant whale was next to us. Or an iceberg was out there.
Seriously? Look at the contrast between that deep navy blue and the icy blue near the boat. It is interesting to me that the ocean only seemed huge to me when I would stop to actually think about the enormity of it. I don't that my mind could comprehend it. I would look at the surface and couldn't begin to grasp how deep it was below us. I would stare out at the horizon and it would just go on and on and on, and I couldn't fathom how far it was in any direction.
I also loved all the various colors. Different shades of blue and grey. I could use this pallet to decorate my whole living room, I do believe! Over the two weeks on the BWB, I totally fell in love with the icy blue color that the waves made when they hit right next to the boat.
While I sat up in Cloud 9, I stared out at those waves for the longest time. Here's a little video of the different kinds of waves we experienced while out at sea, and the one labeled "rolling in the deep" is from this particular day.
The enormity of the ocean made me think of Ephesians 3:17-21: "...so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith--that you, being rooted and grounded (anchored?) in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth and to know the love Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and forever, Amen." His love is like that ocean, and that was one deep thought when staring out at the ocean.
When I would look at the ocean and try to comprehend its size, and then realize that its just one small part of the earth, which is one small part of this galaxy--knowing that He is the Creator of it all, and the grandeur of it all--I was awestruck. And His love for us is even bigger and more glorious than all of that.The water, despite the rain, was extremely calm sometimes. Even when calm, it was still constantly moving and rolling. One of the things I never got tired of laughing about was how hard it was to walk on the boat. The constant motion made walking a straight line, climbing stairs, and so much more...difficult. I would imagine that, with how hard it was to walk on the boat, that walking on the actual water, even when calm, would have been difficult. I know, I know, Jesus walking on water was already a miracle in itself. But when I imagined trying to walk out on that rolling water...I became more impressed with the miracle. But Jesus walked on stormy water! Water with waves big enough to scare Peter. I suppose I always pictured Him walking on still, flat water. But when I looked out at the real thing, I understood that I couldn't even imagine what it looked for Jesus to walk on water.
No comments:
Post a Comment