Many people have asked me what was my favorite thing about the BWB, and I usually say, "Well, besides being on the boat? Easy: Music Trivia." I went to Music Trivia early into the trip, to the "What's that Abba Song?" I did very poorly. I went back the next night to "What's that Classic Rock Tune?" expecting to do very well and bombed again. Not about to be beaten I continued to go, determined that I knew my music better than I was demonstrating.
Thecamelridingcowgirl joined along on "What's that Love-Movie Theme Song?" night. When the host played the music to Ghost, thecamelridingcowgirl, in an attempt to throw off others who might be listening to our answer, yelled out "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid!" Because that is a well-known Love Movie. She was quite amused with her antics and decided to keep it up.
On "What's that Michael Jackson Song" night, she kept yelling out songs by Prince. "Purple Rain!" "When Doves Cry!" So on "What's that Color Song" night when the music for Purple Rain played and she said in all honesty, "Oh, I don't know this one," I responded, "Are you kidding me?!" I wrote the answer down, and she saw the true humor of her antics. Oh my, that woman.
We were pretty excited about Motown night, and even listened to my Motown playlist on my computer while getting ready that night for dinner. When we showed up to the Schooner Bar, there were twice as many people as usual. I thought, for certain, with that many people and most of them raised during the Motown years, that there was no way we'd win that night.
Each song clip would come on, and thecamelridingcowgirl and I would have fun singing along with it. We'd write down our answers and feel pleased that we were having fun...even though surely someone else would get more correct than us. She began to notice, though, that not as many people were signing along to every word like we were. Could it be possible? Could we beat the old folks as their own generation's music?!
Normally, after the papers had been scored, the host would start with 0 and work his way up to who had 20 correct. We'd gotten 18/20 right--the best we'd ever done at Music Trivia. This night, however, he started at 20, asking how many people got 20 correct.
Silence.
We started to feel excited that we'd tie for first--which will get you a prize. The team next to us, who'd graded our papers, began getting excited with us.
Then, who got 19 right? Silence again...to which we started jumping up and down.
Who got 18 right? We began clapping and cheering, and 100 people old enough to be our parents turned and looked at the two youngest contestants in the room. We were the only ones who got 18 right!!! The host asked how many were on our team, assuming that there were more than the two of us, and the old folks had helped us.
Nope! Just the two of us! Amazed, he asked our team name, and we cheekily answered, "Not Even Old Enough to Be Born in the Motown Years!"
We made many a friend that night! :) It was super fun, and we won luggage tags on top of the bragging rights to being Queens of Motown!
We never did win any more Music Trivia, although we did continue to go and have fun with all the other regulars. Once night, this one couple started dancing an awesome jig to Black Water and I was so bummed I didn't get them on video. Well...at the final Music Trivia: "What's that Elvis tune?", it seemed like the whole boat showed up, and the host had the crowd sing and dance to Hound Dog...and I got my video then. You can see the one couple dance the jig again.
1 comment:
My family did a similar thing on a cruise one year. We went to all Trivia. The goal was to win at least one gold cruise boat (that was always the prize). We got close on the last day, after completing a mad dash around the boat which included making a human pyramid in the casino. Alas, we came in second, BUT the lady gave us a chipped gold cruise boat. It has been our pride and joy ever since ;)
Post a Comment