On Tuesday I walked through the 105+ degree heat for 15 minutes to get to my gym. I did a hard leg workout and by the end was not looking forward to the walk back. But the thought of a nice long shower motivated me, and I trudged back through the heat for another 15 minutes. I walked up to my door, reached in pocket, and realized I'd left my house key at the gym.
Yes, that's right. One hour total of walking in the 105+ heat, plus a full workout at the gym.
---------------------------------------
I traveled out to the office (I only go to it about once a week, I do the rest of my work on my computer at home. Beats traffic) to send a fax. A fax I've been meaning to send for a good two weeks now. An important fax that will get the process started for me to apply for a visa into a country I need to go for work soon.
I pop my smart stick into the computer so I can print out the materials to fax.
I'd copied the shortcuts and not the actual documents. Blast!
---------------------------------------
I'd called Miss Sally on Tuesday to let her know I was coming over the next day. So when I left my house on Wednesday, I didn't bother calling again. Every time I've ever called to say I was on my way, they've always been home, because they were already expecting me. I showed up, and you guessed it--they weren't home. I sat in the (can you guess how hot?) heat and waited for them. Thankfully not too long, and thankfully in the shade.
We began to make dinner, and she told me she'd wished I'd called first, because she wanted to make my cornbread casserole for dinner, but needed one of my boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix. (Can I just say? I've got about 15 boxes now, thanks to good friends). Hmmm...we are industrial women, Miss Sally and I! We can do this! I run upstairs and search the Internet for a recipe that does not include Jiffy corn muffin mix. (Ha.) To no avail.
So again, the industrial Miss Sally and I decide to put our heads together. She knows how to make cornbread from scratch, and I know the recipe of my casserole by heart. So we substitute the cornbread batter for the Jiffy mix. Except we remember that it's supposed to be dry mix...and we've already made a batter for cornbread. Hmmm...
We double the entire recipe except for most the liquids, laughing hysterically at how much cornbread casserole we'll have. We put it in the oven, with the pork roast and go about some other business.
40 minutes later, we return to take them out, and realize the oven is NOT on! It had run out of gas at some point (the oven wasn't even hot anymore). So we get Uncle Dick to change the gas, and figure we'll be hungry enough to eat all that cornbread casserole by the time it's ready.
Miss Sally goes to heat up some toast for me to tide me over, and I jokingly ask her if the toaster oven is on. We look and start laughing--it's not.
It's just one of those weeks.
Thursday, July 14, 2005
One of those weeks
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment