While playing Disney Trivia Pursuit with some favorite TCK's of mine yesterday, it was discovered that I am Disney illiterate. All three kids had filled their pies with all the pie pieces before I'd even gotten two! The truth was revealed: if I've ever seen Bambi or Dumbo, I certainly don't remember a single detail. (I did get one question right: that 'Flower' was a skunk.) I really think the only disney movies I remember anything from were the ones that came out while I was in high school. I don't recall A THING from anything before, and I haven't seen any after.
I think I'll stick to card games.
-------------------------------------------
For the first night since last Saturday, I fell asleep with relative ease last night (relative meaning sometime before the call to prayer!). Then, at 3:12am, my neighbor decided to hang photos or something, because she began hammering several nails into the wall.
And because I've been watching too much Alias, this completely freaked me out.
I got up and grumpily forced myself awake (by turning on all the lights in my flat). At 3:47am, my upstairs neighbor began moving furniture around. At 4:02am, several neighbors left their flats to go to prayers. And at 4:10am, the call to prayer began. (Which means I wouldn't be going back to sleep until near 5, when it would then be a race with time to see if I could drift into dreamland before the sun rose at 5:30).
I would ask why my entire neighbor community felt the need to be up during the final watch of the night, but seeing how I am often up during that hour as well...it'd be a bit hypocritical of me, now wouldn't it?
---------------------------------------------
I found out today that I am not the only one who will break out in the happy dance over silly American things discovered as treasure in this desert. There is a friend here visiting from another remote place in Central Asia, and so we took her to what has been dubbed, 'The American Grocery Store.' (Why we are so egocentrical to call it that is beyond me, because there is plenty of British stuff in there too. Maybe the Brits call it 'The British Grocery Store.') It is where one goes to find such extravagances as Lucky Charms Cereal (for $8.50), Dr. Pepper ($6 for a six pack), and ***gasp*** BACON. (Shhh...don't let anyone know we've got it here).
Well, she was expecting those type things. She was not expecting all that she found. She broke out in the happy dance (and nearly tipped her shopping cart over) upon seeing Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls. I don't know that I've ever seen such joy. (Oh, wait, I vaguely remember how I acted when stumbling upon the two aisles called an Old Navy store a few months ago).
Me? I spent a mere $17 and bought Easy Mac n Cheese (I love it, I admit), four bags of British crisps (I'll spare yall the details of the odd flavors...Americans always seemed grossed out by them, although I think they're brilliant!), and strawberry tea.
Oh. And applesauce. I KNOW, I could make it from scratch. But why should I, when I can buy it at the American Grocery Store?
------------------------------------------
As for my unmentioned near dance with the law last week: If I said it involved a ladder and a removed speaker from a local mosque, would you believe me?
I like mystery.
Friday, July 01, 2005
Weekend Quips
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment