Thursday, November 01, 2012

La Sagrada Familia

First stop in Barcelona: La Sagrada Familia, the work-in-progress church designed by Gaudi.  Rick Steves said that he "can't wait to see La Sagrada Familia...finished."  I understand that!  Begun in 1882, and projected to be finished by perhaps 2026, it is in a constant state of change.  (Hence the cranes in the picture below).  I'd seen pictures of the outside, but had no idea how amazing this building was up close and on the inside.  
Gaudi was strongly inspired by nature, and all his works reflect that.  It is built in the exact center of the city.  The tallest spire is to be just slightly shorter in height than the tallest hill in the city, because Gaudi believed that the creation of man should not be higher than the creation of God.  (How's that in contrast to Dubai the tower of Babel?)  With La Sagrada Familia, he wanted to use creation to point to the Creator.  The spires look like honeycombs.  

They have "Holy, Holy, Holy" written on them.

 The church has three facades: the Nativity, the Passion, and the Glory.  We got a good long look at the Nativity facade while we waited in line.  There was so much to look at, so much to take in.  Scenes from Jesus' life.  Carvings to look likes waves, animals, flowers, fruits.




 Once we had our tickets, the audio tour had us start at the Passion facade.  It had sculptures depicting the prayer in the Garden, the betrayal of Judas, the trial, the walk to Golgotha, the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ.  In the audio tour, the guide explains each scene.  While I sat there listening to the Good News, I marveled at how many millions of tourists from all over the world would hear it while staring at the scenes before them.  While it was not explained why Christ died and rose again, enough was told to cause a true seeker to look into the gospel.
 I sat on a bench and stared at that facade, listening to the story of the the Passion of Christ, and prayed for all the tourists who were listening to the same thing.  I thanked God that Gaudi wanted to glorify Him instead of Mary.  I praised Him for the work on Calvary.

Near the door of the Passion facade was a statue of Jesus chained to a pillar.  It represents his loneliness during the Crucifixion.  I'd never really thought about Jesus feeling lonely.  But, betrayed and abandoned by his friends, rejected by his people, and then His Father turns His back on him too.  I could see all of that in His face here.
The door behind Him had (if I remember correctly from the audio guide) the story of the Passion written out completely.  I love the parts that were highlighted: "What is the truth?  Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews."

 Stepping into the church, the story of the Triumphal Entry was sketched on the floor.  The symbolism was amazing: When we pass through His Passion, we receive a triumphal entry into the glorious inner sanctuary.
Inside, the stained glass windows represent water on one side and light on the other.  Jesus is the Living Water and the Light of the World.  The camelridingcowgirl pointed out later that water and light were the first things God created...and the first things Gaudi has you see as you enter the sanctuary.  All creation comes through God, and Gaudi represented that so well with the entry.
Pictures nor words are sufficient to adequately show/describe the main sanctuary.  The pillars are designed to look like trees, and cause you to lift your eyes to look up.  There were so many pillars that it felt like being in a dream-like forest.



 The audio guide invited the listener to quote the Lord's prayer, and said that it was sung every hour in the church.  As I listened to and prayed the Lord's prayer, my heart was moved to worship.  I felt the Lord's presence in that place, unlike any other Catholic church I'd ever been in.  Gaudi's desire was that people would see and seek God in this church...and at least for me, his desire was accomplished.

We took an elevator up one of the spires to look out over the city.


Several of the spires have Venetian glass at the top of them, so that when the sun shines through them, they will spill colorful light onto the city.

 There was a giant statue of Jesus ascending to heaven, made of copper (I think), that looked down over the city.

All in all, La Sagrada Familia is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.  On the outside, it is not the prettiest church.  On the inside, it is definitely the most unique.  But Gaudi's love for Jesus, creation, and the Word is seen all throughout the building, and it is truly something to behold.  I would love to return one day and see the Glory facade when it is finished.  If the Passion facade and the sanctuary moved me to worship, I can't even imagine what the Glory facade will look like!

Thank you, Lord, for giving people like Gaudi talents to create things that turn our hearts to You.  For giving creativity that is just a small reflection of your magnificent Creation.  Seeing this place made me look forward to Heaven to see more of your perfection Creation there.

(A tile sculpture of La Sagrada Familia in the Barcelona metro.)

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Exquisite. And your take on it was way, way better than any magazine article.

Kendra6399 said...

"What is the truth? Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews." YES, YES, YES! Love that picture . . . love that church!

notpoems said...

that is brilliant. I love that the statue at the top is Him ascending triumphant, rather than still on the cross!!

Greener Grasses said...

I loved reading and learning about this unique place. As a person who loves/works in architecture, I loved learning of Gaudi's vision and intricacies of design. I love how his work was done for the glory of God. I love how he figured out how to use architecture to bring truth and light to his city. Thanks for sharing from your viewpoint.

bettercountry said...

Candance, I'm so glad you appreciate it! Hopefully you'll get to see it one day!