Thursday, December 26, 2013

December Daily{:26:} Security, Nobody, Aix

After one of the best vacations ever, the time had come to return to France. Bound called for a shuttle pick up for me, and they arrived early...as in I didn't even get to say goodbye to Bound's mom, only wave from the window as she came outside. That was a bummer. 

The shuttle picked me up right at their front door, and took me straight to the airport (after picking up a bunch of others as well.). I'd been warned that I'd probably have to go thru extra security because I was traveling alone and am a woman. Apparently, we single girls are gullible to terrorists' charms and could receive a gift of a bomb from our new charming boyfriend that we picked up while in the Holy Land. 

Sure enough, as soon as they asked if I was traveling alone, I was asked to step aside. A director was called over, who examined my passport extensively, asked me to take off my glasses so he could see if I matched my photo. (That's a first!) They asked for another ID, and asked a bunch of questions, including if anyone had give me a gift that could be a bomb. Nope. Christmas gifts, yes, bomb, no. (I avoided making a joke about the exploding pop rocks chocolate bar...)

Then, they went through my suitcase, pulling every single item out and running a magic wand over it. Everything, including dirty clothes. I asked if it was interesting to see what kinds of souvenirs all the tourists buy, and the girl responded that it's always the same old thing: mud and salt from the Dead Sea (which, oddly, I did not buy.)  After they'd gone through everything, they allowed me to repack my suitcase and check it. 

Next came security (the normal kind).  Because I'd been flagged (by a special sticker on my passport,) I had to go through another digging. They made me take off boots, scarf, sweater and bracelet (which one doesn't always have to do overseas like in the US.) Then they again went through my entire carry-on and purse, unpacking everything and waving the magic wand over it. They even thumbed through my journal. Ultimately, they took my toothpaste and let me go. 

Passport control went without a hitch, thankfully! Flight was fine. Once I landed in Paris, I was shocked--shocked--to see no one at all in the security line or at passport control. In all my years of flying, I have never once seen this:
Not even something close! Usually, there's at least 50 people in line! And tonight it was just me, at a major international airport! I don't get it. 

My flight was relatively smooth until we started our descent into Marseille, when there was some strong Mistral winds blowing. It was one of the rare times in my life when I got motion sick from the plane rumbling and tumbling in the wind. I had to hold the armrests and start breathing deep to keep from getting sick. Ooh wee. Love the Mistral, but not in a plane!

I'm happily tucked away in Aix now at Mr. and Mrs. X's house. 

1 comment:

notpoems said...

wow on the Israeli security (and the shuttle that takes you straight from your door to the airport!).