Tuesday, December 03, 2013

December Daily {:3:} Classes, Consulate, Tax Office

Oh man, Tuesdays are my favorite days, but also my longest days.  I woke up before the sun and braved the cold to arrive at the Center in time for my baking class.  I have two regular students: a younger one, *Anita, who doesn't really know how to cook much at all, and an older one, *Zelda, who enjoys cooking very much.  I laughed today about how glad I am that they are both there: when Zelda doesn't understand my French, Anita translates in Arabic for her.  When Anita doesn't understand how to do what I'm teaching, Zelda shows her.  We're a happy little trio.

Because I'd already chilled the dough I made last night, we were able to make those cookies today.  The women made their own dough, and then we baked mine to have a taste of their efforts before class was over.  They took their dough home with them.  Zelda made me laugh today.  As I was explaining how to form the dough into a log before freezing it, I asked her if she'd ever made makroot before (a North African equivalent of a Fig Netwon).  She said of course.  I told her to shape and form the dough just like she was making makroot.  I checked on Anita, turned back around, and within the blink of an eye, Zelda had that dough formed and ready to go!  I suppose it was really me who made her laugh, asking if she'd ever made makroot.

Anita, had never made makroot before, and thus had a harder time shaping the dough.  She's cute--she struggles (so far) in the kitchen, but she's determined to learn and seems to enjoy it, so she keeps coming.  Even cuter--she said none of her brothers liked the pumpkin pie she brought home after class last week.  They just couldn't handle the idea of a pumpkin being in a pie.  Wait until she makes a carrot cake...

After class, I headed to the bank.  People often ask me how my money situation works, since I get paid in dollars but I live in euros.  This is the system that works for me: I withdraw cash from my US bank account at the French ATM, and then immediately deposit it into my French bank account.  I have to have the French bank account to pay for bills like rent, telephone, the gym, etc., and so this is just the easiest way for me to get my money in there.

After the bank, I ran home to drop off my stuff from my morning class, and check my mail before my next task for the day.  While I did get mail, (thanks, Eskimo!), I did not get what I was looking for: my passport.  (Cue dramatic music.)  My passport is going to expire in a few months, and so it was time to renew it, which meant mailing it off.  Can I just say that it is extremely unnerving to be an expat without a passport on hand?  Ack.  Anyway...because my mailman is a goober with a tendency to (a) return my packages back to America without giving me a delivery slip or (b) not even bother delivering my French taxes, I've been very nervous about him not delivering my passport.  
The US consulate website says that it takes 10-14 days, and with today marking three weeks, I figured it was time to call.  I spoke with a kind woman who explained that my new passport arrived today, would be mailed this afternoon, and thus, should arrive tomorrow.  If I don't have that all important little blue book in my hands by the time I blog tomorrow night, you can guess what I'll be doing Thursday morning: calling the consulate and the post office.

With that item crossed off the to-do list, I headed across town to go here:
Why did I go to the Center of Public Finance, you ask?  Let me tell you.  Remember how I mentioned above that my mailman didn't bother to deliver my French taxes?  Well.  When I didn't have mine, and everyone I knew had theirs, I went over to the Tax Office, which happens to be two blocks from my apartment, just on the opposite side of my street.  The guy was very kind, reprinted my tax form for me, and informed me that (1) my habitation tax had not been completed yet and I should return in a few weeks if I don't receive it and (2) I was in the wrong office.

Because I live in the 1st district, I have to go to the Office for the 1st district...which is located in the 6th district.  "The Office I use isn't this one, right here, in the 1st district?  I mean, I live on the same street!"  I learned that the dividing line between the 1st and 2nd district is...my street.  I live on one side, the office is on the other.  And that particular office, despite being across the street from the 1st district, doesn't handle 1st district taxes...the office across town does.  

Vive la France.

So I headed across town to the 6th district to ask about my missing habitation tax.  More confusion ensued as the woman explained to me that I hadn't received them yet because "as of today," I don't owe any habitation tax, but if, "after today," I do owe some for 2013, I don't have to pay it until December of 2014.  I had to repeat it all back to her to make sure I understood--I don't currently owe anything.  Correct.  But if I do, I don't pay it until this time next year?  Correct.

Oh lala.  Vive la France.

Back on the metro on the way home, I sat across from what I thought was a Muppet doll, drowned albino Marseille rat, the smallest dog I've ever seen.  It was a little creepy.  And yes, I do often take stalker photos on the metro.

After a quick bite for lunch, I headed across (another) part of town to my quilting class.  One of the reasons I am taking this class is to improve my French, especially my comprehension skills.  See, I learned French in another part of the country, and here in Marseille, they have a very distinct accent...that I often don't understand.  This class is made up entirely of Marseillaise women, with strong accents.  Today, I thought to myself, "This class is a lot like sitting in Truvy's salon from Steel Magnolias."  They all sit around and gossip for three hours while knitting, and I get to sit on the side lines and listen in.  Seriously--I love it.

Here's a little shot of what I worked on today: making little fan blocks.  Teach gave me loads of homework, since I didn't finish last week's assignment (Thanksgiving, Iron Bowl, Christmas Carol concert...).  If I can hurry up and finish the three blocks she has me working on right now by January, she's going to let me begin learning the Log Cabin next...and I'm just itching to learn it.  (After all these years of quilting, I've never made one!)

Skyped with Bound, who I'm going to see for Christmas, then had dinner, and voila.  There's my day. A little housework, a little sewing, a little reading, a little Advent devotion, and it'll be bedtime.  Are you tired after reading about my Tuesday?  Haha.  I know I'm tired!

Pray that my passport comes tomorrow!  Thanks!

2 comments:

notpoems said...

I can see why Tuesdays are your favorite day!
So what do people do with pumpkins if they don't put them in pies....???

bettercountry said...

Soups, and other savory dishes.